How to boost your sales on eBay: 7 straightforward marketing hacks
With more than 1.5 billion product listings, 17 million sellers, and 147 million active users, eBay has become a lucrative ecommerce platform.
But the massive competition on eBay makes it difficult for online retailers to achieve positive ROI fast.
Check out how you can outrank your competitors and boost sales on eBay.
In this article, we will talk about:
- The top 7 marketing hacks to boost your sales on eBay
- Statistics and examples to guide you to thrive and sell more on eBay
- Best practices to provide the best shopping experience to your customers.
Download your essential and printable guide to global ecommerce now: FREE Ecommerce Calendar 2023!
How to sell successfully on eBay?
If you search for the phrase “How to sell successfully on eBay” on Google, you will get around 7,260,000 results (as of 20th June 2022). It shows the level of difficulty that online sellers on eBay face.
So, how can you attract valuable traffic to product listings in the eBay marketplace? What can help maximize visibility and conversions?
The straightforward way is to create winning marketing strategies that can fuel significant growth for your business.
With the right marketing strategies, businesses, small, medium, or large, can generate quality leads, acquire and retain customers, and boost sales.
If it’s your goal to step up your online selling game on eBay, we have a few marketing hacks that can work wonders.
#1 eBay marketing hack: Optimize your product descriptions for SEO
Today, consumers are comfortable opting for a new brand offering superior quality products. This “new” buying perception has opened doors for all types of businesses to create a mark in the online marketplace.
But merely listing high-quality products on eBay’s online platform is not a silver bullet to boosting sales.
eBay has its internal search engine, called Cassini. It works like Google: ranking products that match the search intent of consumers. So, to ensure greater reach, your eBay listings should appear at the top.
How to do that?
Optimizing your product descriptions is a surefire way to achieve top rankings on eBay.
Here are a few aspects to consider.
- Accuracy of eBay product description: The product description reflects the value offerings that your brand provides. Misleading statements can frustrate users, diminishing your image in the market. So, create an accurate summary that best describes your products. Include relevant keywords highlighting your products’ quality.
For instance, notice the product description of Chanel’s perfume on eBay.
Observe how the online seller has created an eye-grabbing yet simple-to-understand description. It is accurate and has relevant keywords. Such product descriptions can create a positive impression of your products, thus boosting visibility.
- Cost of eBay products: Be sure to include correct shipping and handling charges in your product description. This offers clarity to the consumers while making buying decisions.
- Payment, return, and warranty of eBay products: Always include payment methods, return, and warranty period in your product description. It helps buyers proceed with their purchases with ease. Avoid quoting false information as it can impact your sales in the long term.
For instance, check out the following screenshot. Observe how the seller of Acer Chromebook mentions shipping, returns, and payment information.
According to an infographic shared by PACK & SEND, adding PayPal as a payment gateway option can increase checkout rates. So, add PayPal to boost your sales while allowing buyers to shop without any hassles.
#2 eBay marketing hack: Include impressive package inserts
Product package inserts are often considered an unimportant marketing strategy. However, they can help build a positive brand reputation, serving as an extension of your product.
Besides, they can help build stronger connections, improving customer retention rates.
No wonder successful brands like Apple are leveraging the power of package inserts. See how Apple includes value-adds.
For example, Apple includes logo stickers in their packaging, spreading brand awareness. Placing package inserts can also help promote and cross-sell your other products.
Here are the key types of product inserts to consider.
- eBay product usage guide: Share a detailed guide on using the product efficiently. It can help the consumers to get started, enhancing their experience.
- Warranty card for eBay products: A product warranty card can help build trust among customers. It helps collect details of the customers as they sign up for the warranty card. Thus, brands can stay in touch with them, fostering resale opportunities.
For example, Rolex embeds a sense of trust in customers by providing a warranty card with the watch.
- Social media invitation to boost eBay sales and engagement: Insert a social media invitation with the product to maximize social engagement. Offer a small giveaway, asking your customers to share their pictures using the products on platforms like Instagram.
#3 eBay marketing hack: Invest in quality ecommerce photography
Being visual creatures, humans process images faster than other forms of communication.
Visuals can grab users’ attention and engage shoppers, encouraging them to proceed with buying the product. It’s no surprise why top online sellers on eBay add high-quality pictures.
Here are a few vital statistics from Tech Buzz Reviews affirming the power of product images.
- Around 75% of online consumers trust product photographs when making a purchasing decision.
- 22% of consumers return the products because they look different from their images.
- Increasing the number of product pictures boosts sell-through, accelerating sales.
To ensure an excellent customer experience, eBay has created a picture policy. Their team recommends adding pictures that are at least 500 pixels on the longest side.
Here are a few best practices to consider.
- Upload actual images of eBay products: Ensure the product image is real and aligns with what you promise to provide. Strictly avoid using stock images or copyright images of other brands.
- Focus on clarity of eBay products: Keep the background neutral, ensuring good lighting as you click. The image should be free from shadows.
- Capture the details of the eBay product: The image should depict all the details of the products. Capture multiple pictures from different angles. If your product has certain flaws or defects, be sure to capture them too. It will set realistic expectations for the customers willing to buy your products.
Observe how the online merchant has added high-quality photographs of the laptop, showing defects. This helps the merchant maintain a low defect rate, thus establishing them as a trustworthy online seller on eBay.
Following these guidelines can help you gain an edge over competitors on eBay.
#4 eBay marketing hack: Leverage eBay advertising
The route to get your products seen and sold on eBay can be a grueling task if you sell on-trend or high-volume products.
In such a scenario, eBay advertising or Promoted Listings can speed up your journey. No wonder over 940,000 sellers trust and use the eBay ads feature.
But not every online seller and retailer needs eBay advertising.
For instance, if your current listings are not doing well or showing up on the third or fourth search page, opt for eBay advertising. Besides, you can use eBay ads if you sell seasonal items.
Consider search results for – “summer dresses.” There are over 240000+ search results. In such instances, eBay advertising can push your listings to the top page, outperforming the highly saturated market.
Promoted Listings on eBay follow a pay-per-sale model (PPS). Unlike pay-per-click (PPC) or pay-per-impression (PPI), PPS charges fees only after a successful sale.
Here’s how to get started with eBay advertising.
- Sign in to the Seller Hub and visit your promoted listing dashboard.
- Click on “Create a new campaign” to select listings and apply ad rates.
- Add a name for your campaign and launch it.
Here are the metrics that you’ll be able to track.
- Sold products: The total quantity of products sold on eBay.
- Amount of sales: The total eBay sales amount generated.
- Total deduction: Amount invested according to the eBay ad rates.
Use the Promoted Listings Guide by Webinterpret to learn essential tactics to get the best possible ROI on eBay advertising.
#5 eBay marketing hack: Up your shipping game on eBay
The leading and successful sellers on eBay use strategic shipping options.
They focus on delivering items quickly, safely, and cost-effectively to amplify buyers’ experiences. It is the prime factor differentiating them from non-performing brands.
But establishing a shipping policy is not simple.
A brand needs to consider various ecommerce processes, such as order processing, picking, packaging, printing labels, order returns, and location. Shipping charges largely depend on the cost required to perform all these activities.
Here are a few tips to help you create and manage a profitable shipping policy for eBay.
- Perform competitor research on eBay: Understand the expectations of your target audience. Identify what shipping rates they expect. Visit your competitor’s product listings to observe their shipping prices.
- Understand the live shipping rates for eBay products: Contact carriers like FedEx, DHL, or UPS to understand their shipping rates. Do calculations and make decisions, offering the most profitable deal to your customers.
- Offer free in-store pickup for eBay products: If you have brick-and-mortar shops in the local region, offer free in-store pickup. It can help save shipping charges, speeding up the process.
- Provide free shipping for eBay products: According to a recent report by JungleScout, 80% of consumers expect free shipping when spending a certain amount on buying online products. And 66% of consumers expect free shipping for every order. This report depicts the psychology of consumers today and how they are unwilling to pay extra transportation charges.
In addition, pay attention to speedy delivery to optimize the sales funnel. A report by Ware2Go states that 77% of consumers are likely to buy if the online seller promises delivery within a couple of days or less.
So, offer fast and free shipping benefits on as many products as possible to meet your customers’ expectations. Charge nominal shipping fees on international orders while making it free of cost for domestic ones.
If you are trying to expand your services internationally or facing challenges while transporting orders to new countries, join eBay Global Shipping Program (GPS). It can help you with convenient and quick shipping at cost-effective rates.
#6 eBay marketing hack: Ask for customer feedback
Customer feedback is the input shared by buyers based on their experiences with a brand or product. Their feedback allows brands to get a pulse on their perception of the products.
According to statistics shared by Stackla:
- Over 72% of consumers admit to buying from a brand that offers a personalized experience.
- 58% of consumers admit leaving an ecommerce store without buying anything. The reason is the lack of customer reviews and photos.
- 79% of consumers say user-generated content or UGC influences their purchasing decisions.
The crux is: offering a personalized experience based on customer feedback can boost your brand’s value. It can help you build trust among customers. So, collect feedback to ace your eBay selling game.
Here’s how you can achieve positive customer reviews on eBay.
- Provide value to your customers by listing and selling high-quality products.
- Send off the exact products you promised them. Avoid asking for unnecessary high shipping charges. Getting what they want at desirable prices will strengthen their trust in your brand.
- Include package inserts to give them a nudge to leave positive feedback. Also, send them a request to connect with you on social media. This practice will transition your relationship to the next level, boosting customer loyalty.
#7 eBay marketing hack: Opt for delivery confirmation for eBay packages
Electronic proof of delivery (ePOD) is a digital receipt that confirms a buyer has received the products successfully. It comprises information such as product name, details, date of delivery, and more.
Opting for an electronic delivery confirmation process can help you collect and track data on delivery status.
Notice how ePOD helps businesses gain insights on delivery.
It can be helpful at times when the consumers want to return the order. Most importantly, it can help you settle disputes against delivery or shipping claims during online transactions on eBay.
Besides, it can ensure that the supply chain is functioning smoothly, which plays a pivotal role in ROI generation. On-time delivery reflects a smooth workflow, reflecting the high efficiency of your team. So, opting for ePOD is a win-win for your business!
7 best marketing hacks to boost sales on eBay: conclusion
One of the topmost benefits of selling on eBay’s online shopping platform is the vast exposure it offers, specifically to SMBs and lesser-known startups with great products. However, regardless of your product quality, if it doesn’t get noticed on eBay, the sales won’t improve.
Hence, it is crucial to prepare marketing strategies to improve visibility. Use these valuable marketing hacks to stand out in eBay’s ecosystem, skyrocketing sales.
Hazel Raoult is a freelance marketing writer and works with PRmention. She has 6+ years of experience in writing about business, entrepreneurship, marketing, and all things SaaS. Hazel loves to split her time between writing, editing, and hanging out with her family.
Grow your sales with eBay Promoted Listings!